There is a myth surrounding whey protein powder. That myth has many people believing that protein powder is only suitable for bodybuilders or fitness fanatics. Many people believe that whey protein powder is not suitable for “regular” people, the question is, but is this true?
Let’s bust through that myth right now. Whey protein powder is suitable for everyone, and that is because protein powder has many other benefits. Muscle building is not the only benefit you stand to gain from this powder. Every adult who aims to be healthy and is exercising regularly can benefit from a healthy dose of this powder regularly.
Choosing whey protein powder is beneficial for the average adult because of the incredible benefits of including it in your everyday diet. Let’s dive into some of these amazing benefits right now:
- Whey Protein Helps to Lower Your Blood Pressure – This benefit is scientifically proven. Scientists gave a group of people who had a slightly higher blood pressure than normal 54 grams of whey protein for 12 weeks. After 12 weeks, scientists started to notice how this group of people experienced at least a four to five percent reduction when it came to their blood pressure levels. Instead of relying on conventional blood pressure drugs like ACE inhibitors, consuming whey protein is a much healthier option and produces the same effects. If you are struggling with high blood pressure and are looking for an alternative to medication, please speak to your doctor first before making any kind of changes to your regiment. Drastic changes to your diet should be avoided until you have sought the advice of your regular healthcare professional.
- Whey Protein Powder Is Easily Absorbed by The Body – You could easily get your protein fix from fish, red meat, or white meat, but whey protein powder has the upper hand because of how easily it can be absorbed by the body. Getting your protein source from meat is harder for the body to digest compared to whey protein in its powder form. When you consume protein from meat, it can take hours for the body to digest it and break it down before it is finally absorbed into your system. That’s not the case with protein powder. The fine powder is quickly and easily taken in by your body without putting it through the strain of working for hours just to digest it in your system.
- It Helps You Stay Full for Longer – This is one benefit that everyone is going to love. If you’re worried about eating too much, whey protein can help you with that problem by keeping you full for longer. Protein generally helps to suppress your appetite, but whey protein can help that suppression to an even greater degree. Each time you feel hungry, you are going to eat something, and if you eat more than the recommended calories per day without exercising to balance it out, that is how you end up gaining weight. With whey protein keeping you full for longer periods of time, the urge to eat is less. If you’re looking to lose a few pounds, especially after the holiday period, whey protein is going to be your best friend.
- Whey Protein Powder Has Anti-Inflammatory and Antioxidant Properties – Another quality that whey protein has that gives it the advantage is the anti-inflammatory properties it offers your body. An added bonus is the antioxidant properties that you stand to gain by consuming this powder regularly. Ordinarily, if you wanted a healthy dose of antioxidants in your system, you would have to consume a lot of fruits and vegetables, maybe even some supplements to finally reach the optimum level your body needs. Whey protein, however, gives your body the ammunition that it needs to produce glutathione, an antioxidant property. To produce glutathione, you need a certain type of amino acid called cysteine, available in whey protein. This way, instead of relying on food alone for your source of antioxidants, your body is now capable of producing its own source. The anti-inflammatory properties, on the other hand, help with something called Anti-inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD). This is a condition where the inside of your gut can become inflamed. Symptoms include diarrhea, constipation, and pain in your stomach. Whey protein could help to reduce the intensity of the pain you feel by reducing the inflammation when consumed regularly.
- Whey Protein Helps Lower Cholesterol Levels – Whey protein has the capabilities to help reduce Low-Density Lipoprotein (LDL). LDL is commonly known as the “bad cholesterol.” Keeping your LDL levels down to a minimum will help reduce the likelihood that you might suffer from a stroke, heart attack, and any other illness that is associated with bad cholesterol. If you’re already struggling with high cholesterol or you’re looking to keep high cholesterol at bay, whey protein might be a good option to consider adding to your diet.
- It Helps to Regulate Your Blood Sugar Levels – If you already have diabetes or you are close to developing diabetes, whey protein offers some good news for you. Consuming whey protein regularly can help regulate your blood sugar levels. You don’t need to be struggling with diabetes to start taking whey protein too. Anyone who wants to keep their blood sugar levels at a healthy level can start taking whey protein daily. A lot of people have a sweet tooth and they do enjoy a high-carb meal every now and then. What happens when you do consume these types of meals is that your blood sugar levels will shoot through the roof. Spiking sugar levels is one of the main reasons people begin to develop diabetes and if you could prevent that from happening, that is a good thing.
Whey protein is not a supplement reserved for bodybuilders or fitness buffs alone. Anyone who is looking for a healthier and more balanced diet in today’s fast-paced world packed with unhealthy temptations could stand to benefit from whey protein. Building muscle is just one of the additional benefits you gain from it, but don’t worry, you are not going to bulk up excessively unless you’re specifically training to become a bodybuilder.